Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Sugar Cookie Bars

I made this recipe yesterday and loved it. I really liked a good sugar cookie but it is a lot of work sometimes to roll them out, bake 3-4 pans and then frost them. This was a perfect solution. They taste just like a sugar cookie but much less work. I didn't decorate mine but you could if you wanted to make them for a ward function or school party.


Sugar Cookie Bars
from Anissa’s Kitchen
I got it from The Repressed Pastry Chef (photo and recipe from the link)

1 cup butter; room temp.
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg. Add vanilla & mix well. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt & soda & stir with a whisk to combine. Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined. Spread on a greased baking sheet (use a 13 x 18 pan). Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 min, until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and frost.

Frosting
1/2 cup butter; room temp
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
4 cups powdered sugar
5 Tbsp milk
food coloring (if desired)

For frosting combine butter and shortening until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and salt. Add powdered sugar in 1-2 cup increments until combined, then add milk & mix until smooth and spreading consistency. Spread over cooled cookie, then cut into bars.

Notes:

1. I used a regular size cookie sheet. I would spread it as smooth as you can on top. I found my hands were the best choice for that.

2. The frosting makes just enough to cover the whole thing. I used 1/4 cup shortening and the rest butter since i don't love the flavor shortening gives frosting but I wanted it to hold up better than just using all butter.

3. It makes a lot. I had plenty for our family and gave away five plates to friends.

No comments: